Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Trim, trimney, trim trim, trim tra ree!

(Hint: sing the subject line like that crazy chimney sweep guy from Mary Poppins.. one of the best movies EVER).
Anywho. Let's talk about trim. Trim comes in various forms/names/styles - casing, baseboard, shoe molding, crown molding, etc. - but really, trim should be called "the ultimate band aid." It covers up all of the unfinished drywall that covers your walls and it is amazing what it can do for a room.


See Exhibit A - master bedroom closet doors with no trim. Pretty blah, huh?


Then, you attach the ultimate band aid and wa-la! A nice, finished look to your room!


Trim can make the wall paint "pop" too! We went with a modern casing for around the windows and doors. The baseboard was simple and shoe molding will be a must down the road because our floors are the opposite of level.

I can't take any credit for this trimming madness. Adam was the master casing man. Mitering like a pro.

Then Kaye followed behind filling holes like it was nobody's business. Seriously. If Kaye wanted to start up her own gig, I would hire her as painter (aka miracle worker) until the cows came home. She is a pefectionista! And it's amazing. I clearly did not inherit a domestic bone in my body - Kaye has it all!

This is the view from the guest (green) room in through the bathroom to our master (blue) room. You can see the chocolate brown vanity in the bath. It's 100% Amish. Can I get a hollar for the Amish? They don't mess around when it comes to woodworking.


Walk around your place. I'm sure you've never noticed the trim before (I never knew it was there). Maybe give it a hug? It's doing more than you think!

Good news, trim = done. Now just waiting on the granite....

2 comments:

  1. Oh its looking so pretty - oh and I hummed the song from mary poppins the entire time I was reading your blog too! Ben stared at me - it was hilarious when I had to explain why I was humming it! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks SO GOOD! You are going to have a real home of your own so soon! I hear you on the non-level floors :)

    ReplyDelete

Comment away!